04/02/2013

Pause, rewind. Before the fast forward.


I find living in London, that life is often so busy it is hard to just sit and take stock of things. I find myself catapulting from one thing to the next without a lot of time to contemplate what is really going on. On the one hand this means that life is being fully lived and there isn’t a lot of time to get too engrossed in the trivial. However, arguably, not spending thinking time getting engrossed in anything, is arguably missing the point altogether.

Therefore, take a bit of time to be just a little bit selfish. Or a lot selfish. This is to step back, and be focusing on you. Now, I am not advocating you say “I’m spending the inheritance!!”and go and fork out on a Caribbean cruise for one, but I am suggesting that you do the things you enjoy when it is just you. That’s right. On your own. What do you love doing? Some read in cafes. Others sketch in parks. Some fully bury their earphones under their beanies and tune out while they tune in. Now, you might think I am telling you to just go and enjoy yourself in an egotistical way, and to which your response would inevitably be “well, duh, of course I am going to do what I enjoy in my free time”. But, when, really, were you actually by yourself, giving your person some much valued space? The problem is, we often think that our ‘time out’ always involves others, is always action packed and always busy. But, as outrageous as it might be to say – I think we need some time away occasionally to just exist. To think. To access whatever is above, and beyond. To wonder what on earth we are doing. To re-evaluate WHY we are doing what we are doing.

After all, we don’t get into the elevator without a little contemplation of what we will do when we reach our chosen floor.  So this new year- go and just be you.  Take a walk. Eat in a sushi bar alone.  Get your hair done. Plan a train journey. Re-assess. Make some decisions, break some bad ones. Those moments when you think “Wow, my life is busy, So what’s my story?” are real moments in our life to grab hold of, and appreciate for what they are, and for all their worth.

Miss V x

No comments: