12/12/2012

The man who gave the sitar to the west

This morning brought the news that one of India's greatest, Pandit Ravi Shankar, had passed away. Since then, I've seen countless tributes to the musical genius, all of which serve as a reassuring reminder of the legacy he's left behind. This is how I'll remember him.

My parents introduced me to Ravi Shankar's music when I was little, and I vividly remember his jangly sitar strumming  from the CD player in our living room on a nearly constant basis. To me, he was the guy who made classical Indian music cool, not only because of his insurmountable mastery of the sitar (a damn difficult instrument to play, trust me), but also how he smoothly delivered India's musical heritage to the West. As early as the 1950's Pandit Ravi Shankar worked closely with musical greats of the West, including John Coltrane, Philip Glass and, not forgetting, of course, George Harrison. Theirs was spiritually potent and personally close relationship that has left a lasting imprint on Indian music and demonstrated the ease with which two traditions can mingle, making something of the best of both. 

I know it's a desperately cheesy thing to say, but we were lucky to have him for ninety-two years. Few musical careers last longer than a couple, so to see a man and his sitar blend effortlessly into anything from a performance at the Sydney Opera House, to the muddy Woodstock field in 1969, is quite brilliant. 

So, thank you, Pandit Ji, you wonder.

{Via Gabrielle Smith on Pinterest}





Here's a little something for your eyes&ears, from The Concert for Bangladesh, 1970. Enjoy.


Miss D

No comments: