27/04/2012

Beauty in a Jar (no joke)

When it comes to things beauty/make up/hair related, I'm a little clueless. There are so many products out there, so for a self-confessed novice, standing in the skincare/haircare aisles of Boots can be a little daunting. I'm pretty sure I still have no idea what BB cream is. (Please fill me in if you can!)


I'd heard it on the grapevine that you can keep your beauty routine simple, effective, natural & cheap (get in!) How? By the wonders of coconut oil. This stuff can double up as as hair mask and an intensive moisturiser! Apparently, it tastes pretty good too. Thanks to the antioxidants and other health goodies of coconut oil,  this very unglamorous plastic jar is now my loyal companion in all things hair/face related.






Let me fill you in...


I first tried the product as hair mask about a week ago. It has a really low melting point, so after rubbing it between my fingers a little, I was able to lather it all over my tresses with ease. After leaving it on for about half an hour, I shampooed and conditioned it off. The results? Soft, silky hair with no frizz in sight. I've also been told that the all natural oil can stimulate hair growth and can repair split ends, too...(Could this be true?! Apparently so...)


As a moisturiser, I won't lie, I was a little put off at first. As the name suggests, coconut oil is well, you guessed it, oily. Put it on, and you'll have a bit more than a natural glow going on. But, don't be deterred! Leave it on from anything between twenty minutes to all night, and you'll be left with smooth and rejuvenated skin. 


For a cheap all rounder, coconut oil could be your fail-safe potion. As a lover of natural beauty products, I'm excited that this is reputed to produce long term benefits, not just a temporary glow. So, my verdict: buy yourself a jar. From a high-end organic variety, to my cheap, but very effective plastic potted concoction, you won't be disappointed.


Also, thank you to Nika from Pirouette for inspiring this post!


Miss Dx

No comments: