03/04/2012

The Devil wears Prada. Probably a permanently raised eyebrow too. Meryl Streep with Tip Exx White hair, and why we all want to be Anne Hathaway.


via Simone Pringle from Pinterest


I have seen this film approximately 68 times. 

Okay, I actually would never admit that if it were strictly true, but I do know the film practically back to front. All the key moments – the ice queen looks, the fashion department,  that blue belt, and those pursed lips  - the book – and I am about to watch it again. Why is it so good? Because we all feel at one point like Andie. And at most points, we all want the success of Ms Priestly.

But I think why I really love the film, aside my enjoyment of the fashion and media/journalism industry, is that , everyone in the plot has their own story, everyone is a star in their own light, and proves victorious in their own battles.  Andie is the star because she holds onto who she is, despite fierce comparisons and competition. Miranda is the star because she holds it together when things personally fall apart, and clearly is an entrepreneur. Nigel is the star for realising the potential in others, and remaining consistently loyal .

Which I think goes to show, that away from the glamour and the spotlights, the fame and the fortune,  these roles represent real people, all who go through big decisions, heartbreak of one form or another, and feel sometimes lost and the need to be brave. Like us really.

If you have never seen the film – watch it – it’s one of my favourites,  satisfying my love of rom-com/chick-flicks but also because it’s actually, when you look more closely, quite like real life, with all its drama and devils in Prada.

Miss V x

No comments: